Just want to share that version 2.3 was released on September 24, 2007. - less then a week back.
Many different sites and blogs have documented what they thought were their most desired features in Wordpress 2.3. If you are serious blogger or amateur, version 2.3 has lot to offer.
Summary of important features of Wordpress 2.3
Derived from this page -> http://wordpress.org/development/2007/09/wordpress-23/
- Native tagging support allows you to use tags in addition to categories on your posts, if you so choose. We’ve included importers for the Ultimate Tag Warrior, Jerome’s Keywords, Simple Tags, and Bunny’s Technorati Tag plugins so if you’ve already been using a tagging plugin you can bring your data into the new system. The tagging system is also wicked-fast, so your host won’t mind.
- Update notification lets you know when there is a new release of WordPress or when any of the plugins you use has an update available. It works by sending your blog URL, plugins, and version information to our new
api.wordpress.orgservice which then compares it to the plugin database and tells you whats the latest and greatest you can use.
- Canonical URLs - They have cleaned up URLs a bunch in a feature we call canonical URLs which does things like enforce your no-www preference, redirect posts with changed slugs so a link never goes bad, redirect URLs that get cut off in emails on similar to the correct post, and much more. This helps your users, and it also helps your search engine optimization, as search engines like for each page to be available in one canonical location. More info here.
- Pending review feature will be great for multi-author blogs. It allows authors to submit a post for review by an editor or administrator, where before they would just have to save a draft and hope someone noticed it.
- Advanced WYSIWYG functionality (we call it the kitchen sink button) that allows you to access some features of TinyMCE that were previously hidden.
Lot of credit goes to guy ( Matt ) , who started Wordpress. Wordpress is truly simple yet powerful, extensible and overall a neat & smart software, I have ever seen. Nice job !
I will write more about how blogging in general is changing the face of Journalism and information distribution. Blogging and Podcasting has played most important role in Web 2.0 with other technological advances. I will say Wordpress has lot of stack making personal blogging platform so popular as it is today !